How to replace a keyboard key on a laptop ?
Here we explain how to replace a key on your laptop keyboard. The operation is very simple and takes just a few seconds as long as you follow our simple recommendations. Don’t rush it, otherwise you’re likely not only to get stressed out but to damage your hardware.
To operate, a keyboard key needs three distinct parts.
- The cup: the rubber part which, when pressed, enables contact with the keyboard electronics.
- The hinge, the “plastic arm”which allows the key to move
- The key, which needs no introduction –your fingers meet it so often.
- The underside of a key
Scenario 1: Your hinge is still attached to your keyboard: only the key has come loose:
- Make sure the hinge is perfectly positioned in its metal lugs on the keyboard and can still move back and forth.
- Then simply position your key on top of it, in line with the neighbouring keys, and press until you hear one or more small clicks. And you’re done!
- In case of resistance, do not use force, you might break the plastic lugs on the back of the key. If it really refuses to click into place, it may be that the plastic lugs on your key are broken.
Scenario 2: Your hinge has come loose from the keyboard:
- You must first make sure the hinge is not clipped to the key that you want to reinsert.
- You know have to clip the hinge in the metal lugs on the keyboard. To do this:
- Turn the smooth side of the hinge towards you
- Rotate the hinge above the metal lugs to identify the most logical way of attaching it.
- Hold the hinge on one side then attach the others (if you try to attach them all at once, you won’t be able to).
- Check the hinge is correctly in place and that it can move back and forth.
- Then simply position your key on top, in line with the neighbouring keys, then press until you hear one or more small clicks. And you’re done!
Scenario 3: The hinge clip or key is broken:
In this case you have no choice but to buy new parts. You can find the suitable key and hinge on our site WeLoveKeys.com.
Enjoyed this tutorial? Why not share it…
Video showing how to replace a key